Comics Are Great! 14 – Marketing for Smarties
It’s the first episode of the new Comics Are Great! recorded at the Ann Arbor District Library! The show is now recorded live on Wednesdays at 12:30 pm Eastern Time and broadcasted live on Ustream! Join us for our live discussions where you can participate and ask questions of the guests via a live chat client.
When pushing into the choppy waters of live video streaming one might worry about being dashed against the rocks. That’s why I was relieved to have these world-class cartoonists manning the oars with me:
- David Malki !, creator of the Eisner-nominated comic strip Wondermark, and co-editor of the best-selling book Machine of Death
- Dave Roman, creator of Astronaut Academy and various other titles found at the Comics Bakery
- Raina Telgemeier, creator of the Eisner-nominated Smile and the Baby-Sitters Club graphic novels
Together we talk about some marketing strategies Malki ! and Raina have employed over the past few years, some ideas for coming out of one’s shell in order to sell the work at shows, and why observation and self-assessment are crucial when building a business in the creative arts.
Links mentioned this episode:
- Malki !’s and Kris Straub’s Tweet Me Harder podcast
- Tweet Me Harder: Hey World Here Are Some Suggestions
- Vote for your favorite for the Eisner Awards!
- Lazer Blazer Stickers
- Avatar: The Last Puppetbender
- Dave Roman & Raina Telgemeier’s upcoming appearance at AADL on June 17
- Dave & Raina will be at ALA 2011 in Artist Alley
- Malki ! will be at Heroes Con June 3-5
Below is the video for this episode (audio player at the bottom).
Tune in next Wednesday live at 12:30 pm Eastern Time on Comicsaregreat.tv!