Comics Are Great! 50 – A Tale of Two Cities
For the sort-of anniversary show, I was lucky enough to be joined the old roundtable (plus one) for a follow-up discussion to CAG 48! So, to quote Kermit the Frog, it really makes me happy to introduce to you:
Together we start out with some talk covering Tony’s experience at Angoulême, but at around the 26-minute mark we dive into a meaty and layered revisiting of the topic of “Comics for Girls.” Listen along as we discover that the subject seems to be inextricably wound into issues endemic to the North American comics history and the great divides between the direct market, web, and trade publishing industries. Ultimately we conclude “it’s complicated,” but it’s a fun and stimulating conversation along the way!
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Strong Female Characters by Kate Beaton, Carly Monardo, and Meredith Gran
- Friends of Lulu
- Sequential Tart
- Kasey’s list of comics with female leads
- Nico Nico Douga
- Comics Are Great! Episodes 11, 42, and 48
- The Big Sexy Problem with Superheroines and Their ‘Liberated Sexuality’
- The Making of a Blockbuster
- Thunder Punch Daily 146 – on cheating
Audio hosting provided by Ka-Blam Digital Printing.