Comics Are Great! 65 – Behind the Scenes of Publishing with Gina Gagliano
Publishing, Pitching, First Second Books!
Some of us have come face-to-face with the grim reality of getting our work published. It’s not quite as glamorous and easy as the fantasy we might have constructed as a kid. But Gina Gagliano of First Second Books stops by the show to lend a bunch of great insights on what happens behind the scenes at one of the top-flight comics publishers in order to better equip those of us who wish to see our books shelved along side of graphic novels like Laika, Vampire Love, Koko Be Good, and Feynman.
Check out Gina’s Behind the Scenes blog for even more terrific and useful info!
Erin Helmrich of the Ann Arbor District Library shows up later to share some more book recommendations and comics events happening in the Southeast Michigan area.
Links mentioned in this episode (thanks to Eric Klooster for collecting them!):
- First Second Serials: Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong
- The First Second Books FAQ
- First Second Top Sellers
- Editorial Anonymous
- Order of the Stick
- Gina’s post on Publishing vs. Kickstarter
Comics and Book Recommendations (some are affiliate links):
- Mr. Big: A Tale of Pond Life
- A Wrinkle in Time: The Graphic Novel
- Lio: There’s a Monster in My Socks
- Sailor Twain: Or: The Mermaid in the Hudson
- Friends with Boys