Comics Are Great! 68 – Watson and Holmes
Sherlock Holmes, Rick Leonardi, Brandon Perlow, Paul Mendoza, and more!
This time we talk with the team behind the new Watson and Holmes comic about iterating on public domain stories, new publishing strategies, and how a cartoonist might think about “acting” through their characters.
And we’re joined once again by Sharon Iverson of the Ann Arbor District Library for a nautically-themed round of book recommendations!
Links mentioned in this episode (thanks to Eric Klooster for collecting them!):
- New Paradigm Studios
- Techdirt article on Holmes’ status as a public domain character
- Jim Zub’s article on the economics of indie comics publishing
- Brandon and Paul’s appearance on Comicast episode 44
- ComicsPlus iOS and Android app
- Rick Leonardi
- Brandon Perlow’s career as a visual effects artist
- Keith Giffen
- Pippi Longstocking
- Epic Illustrated
Comics Recommendations (some affiliate links):
- Northlanders Vol. 1: Sven The Returned
- Cap’n Cat: Former Shark Hunter
- Salt Water Taffy: Calderas Revenge!
- Mr. Big: A Tale of Pond Life
- Sailor Twain: Or: The Mermaid in the Hudson
- Rasl Volume 1: The Drift
- Steve Canyon Volume 1: 1947-1948
- The Goon Collection
- Winters in Lavelle
- Pickman’s Model