Comics Are Great! 75 – Editing Graphic Novels with Calista Brill
Editing, writing, graphic novels, First Second Books, and more!
I’m excited to talk with Calista Brill, Senior Editor at First Second Books, about the entire process of developing and publishing a graphic novel. What does a good pitch look like? What qualities are editors looking for in a graphic novel proposal? Once the book is acquired, what happens then? How does the editor/author partnership work?
It’s a really fun and instructive conversation with one of the people responsible for the terrific changes happening in the comics publishing landscape.
We’re also joined by Sharon Iverson of the Ann Arbor District Library for another round of book talks!
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Thien Pham
- Dave Roman
- Tony Cliff
- Calista’s blog post “When to Give Up”
- Dave Roman’s blog post “Before You Give Up…Try Changing It Up”
- Gina Gagliano’s blog post on “Publishing vs Kickstarter”
- Gina’s appearance on CAG 65 – Behind the Scenes of Publishing
- Astronaut Academy Day and the Astronaut Academy Pre-Order Event
- Astronaut Academy
- Prime Baby
- Sketch Monsters: Escape of the Scribbles
- Reed Gunther
- Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant
- I Kill Giants
- Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong
- Odd Duck
- Robot Dreams
- Red Handed: The Fine Art of Strange Crimes
- A Bride’s Story