Comics Are Great! 76 – Bringing the Gods to Life with George O’Connor
He-Man! Zeus! Posedion! Olympians rule! George O’Connor, and more!
What better medium than comics to capture the majesty and mayhem of Greek Mythology? Especially in the hands of celebrated cartoonist George O’Connor, creator of The Olympians series from First Second books. Together we talk about kid logic, how an author must get to the heart of their characters, and how the poetry of a visual medium like comics can be utilized to express larger-than-life (yet true-to-life) ideas.
Links mentioned in this episode (thanks to Eric Klooster for collecting them!):
- King Randor
- The mini-comics that came packaged with He-Man figures
- Olympians: About the Gods
- Walter Simonson’s Thor Omnibus
- Major Bludd
- Prince Valiant
- The “Shut up and take my money!” image
- The Superego podcast
- Superego studies G.I. Joe
- Love and Rockets
- The Comics Journal interview with George, where you can find out more about The Thunderers!
Live streams every other Wednesday at Comicsaregreat.tv and on Google+!