Comics Are Great! 82 – Funding Your Kickstarter with C. Spike Trotman and Laur Uy
Crowdfunding! Kickstarter! Self-Publishing! Getting the Word Out!
Hooray! Thanks to services Kickstarter and Indiegogo, we finally have a mechanism to fund our dream project! But is it as easy as just asking your friends or audience to support your thing? It sounds like a lot of work. And how do you avoid annoying everyone with tweets and updates during the campaign’s run? Suppose I raise a boatload of money during the campaign: Do I get to keep the extra income, or does it have to go back into the project?
I’m joined by C. Spike Trotman and Laurianne Uy on how to run a successful Kickstarter campaign. Spike and Laur spill their secrets to engaging an audience, managing costs, and building a system of reward tiers that will elicit support for your dream project.
We also have our regular round of book recommendations with AADL PLA Rachel Moir!
Links mentioned in this episode:
- CAG 72 – Living Well on Less with Spike and Laur
- Spike’s Kickstarter advice
- Spike’s Kickstarter campaigns: Poorcraft, Smut Peddler, and Sleep of Reason
- Laur’s Polterguys Kickstarter campaign
- Zach Braff’s Kickstarter campaign
- The Penny Arcade Podcast Kickstarter campaign
- Laur’s essay on tabling at ALA Annual
- Ryan Estrada
- Wil Wheaton
- Neil Gaiman
- Kris Straub’s Broodhollow Kickstarter campaign
- The Sullivan’s Sluggers Kickstarter campaign
- The Order of the Stick Kickstarter campaign
- Spike’s Iron Circus
- Kids’ Comics Revolution! 09 – Talking Kickstarter with Alexis Fajardo
- Ava’s Demon
- Lady Sabre & The Pirates of Ineffable Aether
- Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant
- Taboo Anthology
- Museum of Terror