Our heroes continue their struggle with their insurance paperwork, only to suffer another accident when the Crow Quill collides with the ship of Bold Space Adventurer and Sensitive Artist Lucy Bellwood. While Polly looks for loopholes to help the team get out of even more paperwork, they continue their discussion on making a living around the field of cartooning.
- Work Made for Hire
- Aaron Diaz’ Tumblr post on commission prices
- Matthew Winner’s All The Wonders podcast
- Ben’s Memory Dragon game
- Erika Moen
- Lucy’s comics
- Lucy’s Patreon
- Jerzy’s Patreon
The Kids’ Comics Revolution podcast is pleased to announce the nominees for the fourth annual KCR! Awards, and we’re asking kids everywhere to vote for the winners!
KCR! hosts Dave Roman and Jerzy Drozd have teamed up with Chris Duffy (Nickelodeon Magazine) and the Ann Arbor District Library to honor some of the best kids’ comics to come out in 2015.
Here’s how you can vote (only kids, please!):
- Pick up a ballot at the information table at the Ann Arbor Comic Arts Festival, June 18, 2015
- Use the handy online ballot below
Winners will be announced June 19 at a special ceremony at the conclusion of Kids Read Comics in Ann Arbor, Michigan!
The Kids’ Comics Revolution Awards 2014 Ceremony, held during the Kids Read Comics Celebration.
2013 KCR! Award Winner George O’Connor expresses his excitement over his trophy.
Diary of a Wimpy Kid author Jeff Kinney with his awards for Favorite Cartoonist/Author and Favorite Comic/Novel Hybrid.
After Ben & James the Fingerbone crash the ship they are visited by the Tax Crow for a review of the crew’s insurance policy. The guys take the opportunity to sit down for a conversation on treating your art as a business.
The crew are visited by Space Librarian Matthew Winner, whose space bookmobile has broken down. While he waits for Octuple A to arrive, they all sit down to talk about the role comics play in library collections and the growing importance of advocacy on the part of comics creators.
- All the Wonders
- Nathan Hale’s Hazardous Tales
- Carol Tilley’s The Secret History of Comics
- The Black-Eyed Susan Awards
- Max Axiom
- Comics Squad: Lunch!
- Delilah Dirk and the King’s Shilling
- Lowriders in Space
- The Ann Arbor Comic Arts Festival
Ben has returned from his writing retreat with Rankin, and the three captains of the Crow Quill are reunited to talk about what they love about superhero stories and how they knit aspects of the genre into their own comics.
We also talk about funny shark suits on Thundercats.
- Death of Superman
- The Supergirl TV series
- The Flash TV series
- The Daredevil TV series
- The Lone Ranger
- Saturday Supercast 21 – He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Pt 1
- Nightwing Vol 1: Bludhaven
- Silver Surfer Volume 1: New Dawn
- The logo from Ben’s childhood Superman costume
- Max Landis on Superman (NSFW language)
Action Items: Who chose the best superhero?
- Supergirl – follow Boulder and Fleet: Adventurers for Hire on Instagram
- Nightwing – say “Hi” to Ben on Twitter
- Silver Surfer – follow Zack’s Instagram
Show and Tell:
- SRSLY Chelsea’s new mascots based on Jerzy’s characters
- Ben’s friend James
Zack and Jerzy discover that Ben is off on a writing retreat with Rankin the Space Elf, so they decide to ruminate about one of their favorite topics, kids’ cartoons. Later on they’re visited by Scrappy Rankin with mails and tweets!
- Mark Evanier on writing Scrappy Doo
- Mark Evanier on writing Dungeouns and Dragons
- Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea
- Ulysses 31
- Mighty Orbots
- Galaxy High School
- Challenge of the GoBots
- Sunbow Entertainment
- The Transformers
- G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero
- Jerzy’s Masters of the Universe Proposal
- Zack’s Instagram
And check out this great Ninjowl from Cadet Aidan!
When we last saw Zack, Ben, Lucy, and Jerzy they were dealing with a fear gremlin infestation and found themselves cornered by a Queen Gremlin! Who can save them? Spoiler alert–they end up responding to a bunch of fear-themed listener mail!
- Lucy’s website
- Lucy’s Patreon
- Lucy’s Inktober 2015 series
- Lucy on Instagram
- New Battle Beasts??
- Ed Emberley
- Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery
- Figure Drawing for All It’s Worth
- How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way
- Force Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators
- Smithsonian Natural History
- Your Comics Will Love You Back
- Around Cape Horn
The ship is adrift in space, and Zack, Ben, and Jerzy are running short on supplies. Add some strange noises in the dark, and you have three very scared adventurers! Thankfully, Bold Space Adventurer and Sensitive Artist Lucy Bellwood, with her mustache Polly, have shown up to help!
Zack boards the ship only to find a despondent GoSATron. Together they explore how music can bring light to almost any situation, and everyone has a little music in them!
Zack, Ben, and Jerzy gather around the mailbag to answer your questions, spending a big chunk of the episode talking about the comics they drew as kids, having been inspired by this tweet from Rose:
@GoSAtron can you guys discuss art you made as kids? And/or people, places, things, and events that first got you into making art.
— Rose (@RoStAToStA) December 16, 2015
- Boulet’s YouTube Channel
- GoPro Cameras
- Zack’s Instagram
- Glif iPhone mounts
- Mighty Mutanimals
- Battle Beasts
- Why the British Tell Better Children’s Stories
- Silver and the Periodic Forces
- The Animal Avengers