Comics Are Great! 07 – Manga is Great
I’m joined by one of my favorite roundtables of cartoonists:
Brandon Dayton is the cartoonist behind the comic Green Monk and contributor to the Feature Creeps process blog.
Kasey Van Hise is the creator of Winters In Lavelle, who may or may not be doing a comic soon called Fat Unicorn.
Dave Roman is the creator of Astronaut Academy, soon to come out from First Second Publishing.
We sit down for a discussion on some of the common misconceptions by American audiences in regards to Manga, followed by some of the lessons we’ve learned through letting some of our favorite Manga influence our works.
Links and artists mentioned in this episode:
- Shaenon K. Garrity’s blog post, Ten Things to Know About the Future of Comics
- Osamu Tezuka
- Hayao Miyazaki
- Katsuhiro Otomo
- Cowboy Bebop
- GoGo Monster
- Rumiko Takahashi
- Amy Kim Ganter
- Becky Cloonan
- One Piece
- Transformers: Robots In Disguise
- Taiyo Matsumoto
- Natsume Ono
- Ristorante Paradiso
- House of Five Leaves
- Keiko Takemiya
- Cowa, by Akira Toriyama
Some of the books mentioned in this episode:
Other links mentioned at the end of the episode:
- Raina Telgemeier is holding a holiday sale on her Baby-Sitters Club original pages–only $30!
- Kasey Van Hise will give you a free Winters In Lavelle button set if you purchase her book and mention this podcast!
- My 216-page graphic novel The Front: Rebirth is on sale until December 15 for a paltry $6!
- Brandon Dayton is having a print sale on his website (and he also takes commissions)!